Historical Views of the Rockaways
As an Iron Steamboat Company Rockaway Excursion Steamer passes abeam of the Beach 145 Street bayfront bulkhead in Neponsit, the Neponsit Club pier is visible jutting out into Jamaica Bay waters, at left center, behind the club building, at top right.
The wooden bulkhead extended west behind the Neponsit Club to Beach 149 Street, and the club fronted on Newport Avenue between Beach 146 and Beach 147 Streets.
The home shown to the right of center on Beach 145 Street is number 457 on that block. The small building to the left of center is on Bayside Place, or as we know it, Cronston Avenue. The back bulkhead is the Riis Avenue on contemporary maps.
The Neponsit Club, for use by residents only, opened in about 1911 and was closed in 1925.
New housing appeared on the site afterward, and for a short time a sewage pumping station operated nearby.