Bayswater House Fire Sends Eight To Hospital
The fire, which FDNY officials say was lit by a candle, started shortly after 8 a.m. Saturday, August 18, inside a home located at 1477 Edgmont Place. One of the occupants, Carol A. Boody, suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to an area hospital. Another occupant, believed to be her son or husband, escaped unharmed. Seven firefighters were not as fortunate.
"Firefighter William Murphy [of] Rescue Company 4, fell from a second story window to the ground and was removed to North Shore Hospital with a possible broken back and ankle. Firefighter Steve McNoble [of] Ladder 137, suffered a possible fractured left arm and was removed to Peninsula Hospital Center," according to an NYPD source.
Five other members of the FDNY were sent to North Shore University Hospital with smoke inhalation and other minor injuries.
At the request of the FDNY, the Department of Buildings inspected the home on August 18, to check for "building shaking, vibrating and structure stability" due to the fire, according to DOB records. A spokesperson for the agency was not able to answer questions about the current condition of the structure.
The Wave spoke Wednesday with a representative of the FDNY who said fire marshals indicated an "open flame" candle triggered the fire.