2007-02-16 / Community

Pheffer: Check Out Child Tax Credit

Assemblywoman Audrey I. Pheffer wants to remind parents of school aged children that are preparing to file their taxes to be sure to apply for the Empire State Child Tax Credit.

Last year Assemblywoman Pheffer fought to create the Empire State Child Tax Credit. This credit is available to full-year New York State residents, who are eligible to claim a federal child tax credit or meet certain income thresholds, with a child who was at least 4 and less than 17 on December 31, 2006.

To apply you must fill out form IT-213 and submit it with your New York State Income tax return. All New York State tax forms, including IT_213, can be downloaded from the Internet at: http://www.tax.state.ny.us/forms/form_number_order_au_ct.htm . If you have already filed your taxes, you can still submit the form by itself to the State Processing Center at PO Box 61000, Albany, NY, 12261-0001.

"I am also urging consumers to try and avoid turning to Refund Anticipation Loans (RAL's) to receive all or part of their refund a few weeks earlier than expected. RAL's are not tax refunds - they are short-term loans against the taxpayers' anticipated refund and many tax services charge enormous interest rates for them, often preying on the poor and convince consumers to borrow against their own money," said Pheffer.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio