2006-12-01 / Community

Historical Views of the Rockaways

A View Of Far Rockaway From The Outer Beach Called Hog Island...1900
From The Rockaway Museum Commentary by Emil Lucev, Curator Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke

Historical Views of the Rockaways
From The Rockaway Museum
Commentary by Emil Lucev, Curator
Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke

Today's Historical View is surrounded by multi-colored seashells of various kinds found along our northeast coast. How many can you identify? Which is the quahog? The periwinkle? The conch? The snail? The scallop? The oyster? Limpett snail and the hermit crab?

Our camera is on the outer Hog Island beach looking across Far Rockaway Bay towards the Beach 19 Street ferry dock and pavilion, plus the many old hotels that lined Beach 19 Street. A horse-drawn trolley car company ran its line to the beach from the Far Rockaway LIRR station.

The horse-drawn buggies and wagons on the right are on old South Street, which is the present Seagirt Boulevard. The artist has added walkers to the restful scene. Wavecrest is located to the west, or left, where there was a man-made canal that connected Far Rockaway Bay to Jamaica Bay at Beach 32 Street.

The hotels, left to right, are the Wheeler Cottage, the Ocean View House, the Franklin Hotel, the American Hotel, and the St. Lawrence on the west side of Beach 19 Street...and the big U.S. Hotel on the east side.

The outer beach and all of the bathing pavilions and restaurants there were destroyed by the direct hit of a summer's end hurricane in September of 1903. The Long Beach sandbar came up to Far Rockaway in later years, and was stopped from hooking up to Edgemere by the Long Beach stone hook jetty completed in 1933.

Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History

 

 

Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio