2006-08-18 / Columnists

On The Boardwalk At Rockaway Park In The Year 1910

From The Rockaway Museum by Emil Lucev, Curator Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke

From The Rockaway Museum
by Emil Lucev, Curator
Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke

This shot of the Rockaway Park Boardwalk was taken from atop Curley's Hotel at the Beachfront, on the west side of Beach 116 Street. The Promenade was twenty feet wide and less than two feet in height.

In the background is Beach 109 Street and the Seaside section of Rockaway Beach. The Seaside ocean pier is seen stretching out into the ocean at Beach 105 Street.

The Park Inn Hotel entrance is at the left bottom corner, and going down to Seaside were homes, St. Malachy's Orphanage, the Hebrew Orphan's Home, the St. George's Church Children's home, and the Park Inn Bathhouse next to the hotel at Beach 115 Street.

In 1922, the citizens of Rockaway Park ceded their beachfront to the City of New York so the City could build a new boardwalk of concrete, wood, and steel. The new walk opened in 1923 with a dedication ceremony at Curley's Beachfront at Beach 116 Street.

After this, the whole of the Rockaways wanted a new ocean boardwalk, gave up beach ownership and riparian rights to same, and had the walk by the start of the 1930s. Then Rockaway Park was extended from Beach 120 Street to Beach 126 Street.

The original plan by the City called for an ocean promenade from Beach 169 Street to the Nassau County Line, but that never came to pass.

Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History