Historical Views Historical Views of the Rockaways
In last week's column, we saw the institution of painted white lines
to mark off parking places on the beach side of Beach 116 Street. This was to be the new herringbone parking style of the future. It wasn't long before this was unwanted, and was asked to be replaced by a 45 minute parking limit in its stead. Neither happened, but the Rockaways did get the first white stripe down the boulevard from Beach 91 Street to Beach 110 Street.
There was no parking at the curb allowed on Beach 116, boulevard to the ocean, but a two-hour limit was placed on the center herringbone parking spots.
By the late 1930's and the coming of Robert (The Pharaoh) Moses to the new Rockaways, the only change was that curbside parking on the north side of Beach 116 was now limited to one hour. Parking meters were asked for after the new Marine Parkway Bridge was opened, and this request was answered by installing 184 one-way streets and issuing new traffic regulations.
Before, during and after World War II, parking lots helped alleviate the parking problem elsewhere, but Beach 116 still had no happy parkers. Parking meters added to the happiness of all those wishing to park anywhere in the Rockaways during the 1950's and later on...to make a long story short...head-in parking for the length of Beach 116, ocean to bay, was in vogue. This is shown in today's View in a Chamber of Commerce photo from 1979. The caption stated that big changes were coming again...but didn't say what was in the wind. Other than the Beach Club opening, you can guess what happened to the parking situation on Beach 116 Street. You got it! It was back to square one again in the center of the street, but all the way to the bayside this time. The next few decades saw various alterations to the center parking, and the latest just recently. Will this be the last change? Or will eminent domain end the problem once and for all?