2006-03-31 / Front Page

'Extortion Boy' Slain By Police

Rasheem Parrish was shot and killed by police after he pulled a loaded handgun on an officer.Rasheem Parrish was shot and killed by police after he pulled a loaded handgun on an officer. A Far Rockaway man who died Sunday - one day after he pulled a gun on cops and was shot - served time for attempted murder and belonged to a gang of gunpoint robbers who called themselves "The Edgemere Extortion Boys," according to a law enforcement sources.

Police say 20-year-old Rasheem Parrish and three accomplices held up two men in Arverne the night before Parrish, who was released from jail last October, put a loaded gun in the face of a NYPD lieutenant and was fatally shot in the lower back by another officer.

"The Edgemere Extortion Boys are back!" Parrish and the accomplices shouted as they surrounded two men at about 1:30 a.m. on Friday, March 24, sources said. One of the alleged accomplices, Jamir King, 21, put what appeared to be a gun to the back of one of the victims' head and threatened to "pop" him if he didn't do what the "Extortion Boys" said.

The victims were forced towards a building near Beach 67 Street and Beach Channel Drive, where Parrish, Anthony Morgan, 22, and a fourth man who remains at large, stripped them of their belongings, including their wallets, cash, keys, a cell phone and a MetroCard. The alleged robbers then fled, with one of them shouting, "Let everyone know the Extortion Boys are back," as they ran off.

Jamir King was arrested and faces felony armed robbery charges.Jamir King was arrested and faces felony armed robbery charges. At about 8 p.m. the next night, Saturday, March 25, police were called to investigate a report of a man with a gun at the corner of Beach 22 Street and Mott Avenue. Three uniformed officers approached Parrish, who allegedly took a swing at a lieutenant and tried to flee, according to police. The lieutenant grabbed Parrish, who pulled a loaded 9mm pistol and aimed it - point blank - at the officer. The lieutenant suffered a broken thumb, according to other published reports, as he tried to wrestle control of the gun in what police officials described as "a close quarters struggle over the weapon."

A sergeant drew his weapon and shot Parrish, of 51-32 Beach Channel Drive, once in his lower back. The 20-year-old was transported to Jamaica Hospital in serious condition and was pronounced dead about four hours later.

Anthony Morgan was arrested and faces armed robbery charges.
Anthony Morgan was arrested and faces armed robbery charges. On Monday, March 27, police called for the public's help in apprehending Morgan and King, who had been identified in photographs by the victims of the gunpoint robbery. Parrish was had also been identified, according to a source close to the investigation.

On Tuesday, Morgan, of 54-75 Almeda Avenue, and King, of 51-15 Almeda Avenue, were taken into police custody. They were charged with two counts of first degree robbery and four counts of second degree - each are armed felony offenses.

Bail for Morgan and King was set at $100,000 and $150,000 respectively. They are due back in court on April 12.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio