by Emil Lucev, Curator
Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke
In the days after World War II, Central Avenue in Far Rockaway had a grand mix of first class stores that offered a good cross-section of goods and materials. One such place was Meyer’s Men’s Shop, located on the east side of the avenue between Mott and Cornaga Avenues.
Back in 1946, Proprietor’s Schneider and Kahn expanded their very popular men’s shop; not up, but down. The basement of the shop was converted most exclusively to boy’s clothing, with separate divisions for the junior, prep, husky, and the Boy Scout. Besides terra cotta floors and pickled oak woodwork, there were five spacious fitting rooms, and lots of clothes and accessories.
In view number one, Chamber of Commerce Assistant Executive Secretary Fred Stein points to the tape, at the spot for Chamber of Commerce President Harris Chasanoff to cut the tape at the official opening of the new basement addition on September 23, 1946.
View number two is a grand view of the basement addition from the bottom of the wide carpeted stairway from the first floor of the store.
Proprietors Schneider and Kahn are seen holding the ends of the yellow tape for the grand opening cut by the chamber president. The selection of new clothing for men and boys was exceptional, and prices were moderate. Meyer’s was also the area store to outfit Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts with official uniforms and uniform accessories.