2005-12-02 / Columnists

Historical Views

of the Rockaways LIRR Station- Edgemere- 1927/1937
From The Rockaway Museum by Emil Lucev, Curator Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke

of the Rockaways

LIRR Station- Edgemere- 1927/1937

From The Rockaway Museum
by Emil Lucev, Curator
Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke

View #1 today shows the Edgemere Long Island Railroad Station in about 1927. Trolley service on the LIRR line from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park ended in 1926. There were three tracks on the line, eastbound on the southside, westbound in the center, and the trolley track on the north side. The westbound or center track was taken out by the LIRR after trolley service termination.

Ocean storms and heavy rains often flooded the section of Edgemere around the station. The views today (#2 from 1937) show the station proper flooded, and then dry. In both photos we are looking west from Beach 35 Street at the wooden platforms and crossovers. When the third rail was “awash,” service was suspended until the water level was lowered by man or nature!

This condition persisted until the elevated LIRR line was built shortly before World War II began in 1941.


Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History

 

 

Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio