Operating Engineers To Recruit Apprentices
The International Union of Operating Engineers Joint Apprenticeship Committee, Local 15, will open recruitment on September 21 for 15 operating engineer (heavy equipment) apprentices.
Applications will be available at the Local 15 Training Center, South End of Lefferts Boulevard, South Ozone Park, Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. from 1 p.m., from September 21 through October 6 (or until 150 applications have been issued). Completed applications must be postmarked no later than October 15.
The committee requires that applicants:
• Be at least 18 years old.
•Have a high school or general equivalency diploma.
• Take an aptitude test.
• Be a United States citizen or legally able to work in the U.S.
• Have a valid driver’s license (apprentices may be required to drive heavy equipment through city streets).
• Sign an affidavit attesting to their physical ability to do the work.
• Pass a drug test after acceptance into the program, at the sponsor’s expense.
For further information, applicants should contact the New York State Department of Labor office located nearest their home, or the Apprenticeship Training Central Office at (518) 457-6820.