Plumbers’ Apprenticeship Program To Start
The Joint Apprenticeship Committee for Plumbers, Local 1, will open recruitment on September 6 for 100 apprentices. Applications can be obtained in person only at the local’s training center, 37-11 47 Avenue, Long Island City, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., from September 6 to September 19, or until 1,000 applications have been issued. Completed applications must be returned in person by October 4. There is a $15 testing fee must be paid via money order.
The committee requires that applicants meet these standards:
• Be at least 18 years old, with proof required after acceptance for the program.
• Have a high school or general equivalency diploma, with at least a grade of C in math I and math II, or at least a 55, or 550, on the math portion of the GED test.
• Must complete an aptitude test given by the committee.
• Be a United States citizen, or legally be able to work in the U.S.
• Present their DD 214 military transfer or discharge form, if applicable.
• Appear for a physical interview.
• Take a physical examination and a drug test at the committee’s expense, after acceptance in the program.
For further information, applicants should contact the New York State Department of Labor office located nearest their home, or the Apprenticeship Training Central Office at (518) 457-6820.