Vehicle And Personal Safety Reminders
According to Police Officer Brian McCabe of the 100 Precinct, a few basic precautions can go a long way in safeguarding your property, and more importantly your own self.
Many times, preventing yourself from becoming a victim of a crime can start with you.
Here are a few quick reminders in regards to personal safety and vehicular protection:
• When exiting vehicle, lock all doors and windows, and activate any theft deterrent device system you may have.
• Put packages and valuables out of sight in the vehicle.
• Park your vehicle with safety in mind (well-lit areas).
• Reduce opportunities that may make you a target, such as leaving property unattended or using expensive items that are outwardly visible (laptop, cell phone, I-Pod)
• Trust your instincts regardless of feeling embarrassed. Never second- guess yourself in a situation.
• Be aware of your surroundings, especially in crowded areas such as train stations or bus stops.
•Divide money between your purse/ wallet and pockets. Minimize the amount of money, credit cards and valuables you carry by only taking necessary items for the day.
For any more information on crime prevention, please contact Officer McCabe at the 100 Precinct at (718) 318-4236.