Responding to community concern, the Sisters of St. Joseph, whose convent was located on Central Avenue, established St. Joseph’s Hospital in 1911, in the former Star of the Sea Academy. The Hospital opened on June 25, 1905, and charged $1 a day for the general ward.
The history of St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, South Shore, is testimony to the dedication of religious institutions to service of the sick and needy and their striving to provide quality medical care. Until 1905, people from Neponsit to Rockville Centre who had become seriously ill had to make a long trek to Brooklyn or Manhattan for hospital care.
White’s Ward, 1905. Surgery has long been a specialty at St. John’s.
|Operating room 1906. From the beginning St. Joseph’s provided excellent medical care. Doctors at St. Joseph’s 1912. With generous community support, a significant theme in St. John’s long history, the Sisters opened a new Hospital in 1913. Student nurses circa 1915. The Hospital’s first ambulance was horse-drawn. Ambulance, 1917. Obstetrics and pediatrics are long-time services at St. John’s
Hospital scene, 1913. The training of healthcare professionals has taken place since the Hospital’s inception. Nursery, circa 1934. St. Joseph’s Hospital became St. John’s Episcopal Hospital in 1976 and today has 332 acute care and psychiatric beds. St. John’s is proud to have served the Rockaway community for 100 years.|