Historical Views of the Rockaways
From The Rockaway Museum
by Emil Lucev, Curator
Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke
Today’s Historical View was sent in by Danny R. of Rockaway Beach. With nice and bright computer generated colors, we have a good likeness of the first Crossbay Bridge to Broad Channel, which opened in 1924. Two years later, the whole of Crossbay Road was opened for automobilists coming to the Rockaways.
Fishing off the old bridge was extremely popular, and is evident in this old photo.
The bridge improvement in 1938 was necessary to relieve monstrous traffic tie-ups on this bottleneck bridge.
A second span was built alongside and when completed/opened – this old bridge was rebuilt with the same construction standards.
Thirty-two years later, the present bridge was constructed and renamed Veteran’s Memorial Crossbay Bridge.
The opening of this bridge in 1924 was a lifesaver for the community of Broad Channel. A great fire started in the Channel that winter (1924-25) and it was found that hydrants and water lines were frozen. The quick response of the Rockaway firemen, over the new bridge – brought pumps, steam jennies and men to save the day, otherwise…