Historical Views of the Rockaways
From The Rockaway Museum
by Emil Lucev, Curator
Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke
In May of 1942, the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A&P) opened Rockaway’s first self-service supermarket at 88-08 Rockaway Beach Boulevard. The store was managed by Charles McCarthy. On the upper floors was the Rockaway Refrigerator Company and the Fairmark Manufacturing Company (product unknown).
Going back to 1928, the building was known as the Hegarty Furniture Company, which moved uptown in 1941, and from it’s construction back in 1907, was known as the William Rogers Hardware Store. The Rogers residence was on the third floor. The Jamieson Bond Company built the store for Mr. Rogers.
As the 1950’s rolled in, the place became a hardware store again, known as 88 Street Hardware, and run by Samuel and Katie Pivar. This hardware store closed in 1957, and it is known who or what occupied the building until 1976, when House of Décor Hardware opened for business. In 1982, House of Décor moved to Beach 114 Street and the Boulevard as Rockaway Beach Hardware.
A year later, the Bingo King, manufacturer of bingo business supplies, moved in for a few years.
1988 saw the building become the new home of The Wave Publishing Company – the present owner. The first floor also serves as the home of the Rockaway Museum since 1999.
Many thanks to Catherine O’Hara of Belle Harbor for today’s Historical View.
Can anyone fill in any gaps about the owners and tenants in bygone years?