Four Go To Hospital In Edgemere Gas Leak
Three ten-year old students and an adult paraprofessional were transported to St. John’s Hospital in Far Rockaway on January 20, when a gas leak nearby their Edgemere school nearly forced an evacuation of PS 256.
Police say that the event began at 10:25 a.m. when officials at the school, located at 160 Beach 29 Street called the 911 emergency system to report an odor of gas and a number of people who needed medical assistance, complaining of headaches and nausea.
Fire and police department units responding determined that the gas leak was not at the school, but nearby at a construction site at Beach 32 Street and Far Rockaway Boulevard. A planned evacuation of the building, as well as MS/PS 43, which is attached to the District 75 building, was cancelled.
KeySpan workers cut off the gas line shortly after they arrived on scene.
Five people who had complained of medical problems were treated at the scene by workers from the Emergency Medical Service (EMS).
One, Assistant Principal Beth Rudolph refused further medical assistance. Three ten-year-old students were transported to St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, treated and released to their parents. Susanne Hills, aparaprofessional at the school, was transported to the hospital as well. She was also treated and released.