2004-12-10 / Community

KeySpan Energy Urges Carbon Monoxide Safety

KeySpan officials today asked the general public to take some critical steps to prevent Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. “Malfunctioning heating equipment, regardless of the fuel source, pose great danger,” said Robert B. Catell, Chairman and CEO of KeySpan Corporation. “Heating, hot water and venting systems must be checked and cleaned regularly.” Winter is when most CO incidents occur. “We want to prevent any tragedy,” Catell added.

KeySpan Energy and the Long Island Power Authority provide electricity to Rockaway venues.

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and poisonous gas that is produced by the incomplete burning of any fossil fuel. It can also be generated by automobiles left running in a closed area adjacent to homes. Breathing CO can cause serious injury and even death. Symptoms of CO poisoning include: headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness.

“Installing a CO detector/alarm is another important step people can take to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning,” Catell continued. “I commend Mayor Michael Bloomberg for his leadership in instituting the new law requiring installation of Carbon Monoxide detectors in homes and other facilities throughout New York City. We hope that other communities consider adopting similar legislation to ensure the general public’s safety and well-being.” Installation is required in New York City, but not in other communities KeySpan serves. The detector/alarms that meet requirements of the current UL standard are available for purchase in most hardware, grocery and retail stores.

Anyone who suspects carbon monoxide poisoning in their home should get fresh air immediately and call the fire department. Here are some ways to prevent carbon monoxide in your home, according to a spokesperson for KeySpan: Have your heating, hot water and venting systems checked and cleaned regularly by a professional. Have your chimney inspected regularly for clogs or debris. Don’t use a range, oven or clothes dryer for heating. Never start your car, lawn mower, snow blower or other combustion engine in the garage with the door closed and never leave them running in a closed garage.

Install a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home.

Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History

 

 

Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio