Historical Views of the Rockaways
From The Rockaway Museum
by Emil Lucev, Curator
Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke
Today’s Historical View comes to us courtesy of Denise Brunner of Belle Harbor, and is another from the attic series. The historical photo was taken by Dr. Philleo, a Rockaway Beach Druggist and physician-on-call in Rockaway Beach, from Arverne to Rockaway Park. The view of Broad Channel’s station was snapped by Dr. Philleo from a moving train that has just left the station and is crossing Beach Channel heading for Hammels Station in Rockaway Beach. The photo was taken in 1895.
Following the tracks back to the station, the Broad Channel drawbridge and foundation are clearly visible. With the steel girders of the bridge a westbound train can be seen heading to the Raunt and Goose Creek stations. The bridge was actually a swing bridge which replaced the old draw type of opening, but the old name stuck. You may remember that the Broad Channel draw was used to layout and locate the oysterbeds in the Queens side of Jamaica Bay, using the draw as the center of a compass. The draw was on the south end of the station and was removed in later years, deemed as not needed by the LIRR as there was another bridge opening at Beach Channel which was just to the south.
The dark buildings at the extreme left or west are most likely the shacks of baymen on the shore of Shad Creek flats, between the boatful of anglers and the shore. Just to the right are four white buildings, which I believe are at the Shad Creek end of the walkway from the station, which later became Sixth Road. The next group of structures (about four) belongs to Isaac Carpenter: a hotel and fishing station built in 1882 with boards for rent. Alongside the trestle on the west side is the hotel and fishing station built by Garrett V.W. Eldert in 1888. Who was running it after Eldert’s death in 1890 is not known at this time. On the opposite or east side of the station site is the station building itself, built by Charles Denton in 1882. Denton ran the station for five years and for the next ten by Charles Foetler. Then came the Fuller and Buhl brothers until Edward Schleuter took it over and called it the Delevan House and Palm Garden in 1903. Behind and to the north are the Enterprise and Atlantic Hotels and Fishing Station. Earlier they were known as Parson’s and Dorman’s respectively. Other names associated with this side of the station were Shaw, Vogel, Bollerman, Sandstrom and the Dalcassian Fishing Club. The name Miller was found as being on the site in 1886. Prior to Miller, the name Barnes was found for a creek which ran into the station area. Who Barnes was is still a mystery. Chris Hoobs ran the Old Carpenter place in later years. At present, Smitty’s Fishing Station is located on the site.