2004-11-19 / Community

IRS Seeks To Give Refunds To Missing Locals

The Internal Revenue Service is looking for taxpayers to claim 87,485 undelivered income tax refund checks (6,435 in New York State).  Checks totaling more than $73 million ($6.3 million in New York State) can be reissued as soon as taxpayers correct or update their addresses with the IRS.

“If we owe you money, we’d like to get it to you,” said IRS Commissioner Mark W. Everson. “All you have to do is tell us where you are. Our Web site makes it easy for taxpayers to track their undelivered refund checks.”

“Where’s My Refund?” on IRS.gov provides information about refunds and is available on the IRS home page. To use it, taxpayers enter information that includes their Social Security number, filing status (such as single or married filing jointly) and the refund amount shown on their 2003 tax return.

When the information is submitted online, taxpayers see Web pages that show the status of their refund and, in many cases, they also get instructions they need to resolve problems.

“Where’s My Refund?” was developed through the IRS Business Systems Modernization program and delivered in the summer of 2002. Taxpayers used the online tool nearly 24 million times to track their refunds in 2004.

“The best way to avoid having an undelivered refund checks, is to have your refund directly deposited into your personal checking or savings account,” IRS Spokesperson Kevin McKeon said.

 “Direct deposit also guards against theft or lost refund checks. The option is available for both paper and electronically filed returns,” McKeon said.

More than 49 million taxpayers chose to direct deposit almost $120 billion in refunds during 2004. The number of direct deposit refunds was up 10.8 percent from last year.

Refund checks go astray for reasons that can vary with each taxpayer. Often, it’s because a life change causes an address change. If taxpayers move or change their address and fail to notify the IRS or the U.S. Postal Service, a check sent to their last known address is returned to the IRS.

Taxpayers who have moved since filing their last tax return can ensure the IRS has their correct address by filing Form 8822, Change of Address, with the IRS.

Taxpayers without access to the Internet, who think they may be missing a refund, should first check their records or contact their tax preparer before calling the IRS toll-free assistance line at 1-800-829-1040 to update their address.

The following are those Rockaway residents owed refunds by the IRS:

Benitez-Roman, Josephine; Shadick, Munaff ; Brewster, Walter F. Jr; Mc-

Kenzie, Anthony; Bonds, Jequittia; Al-

leyne, Maurice G.; Torlincasi, Salva-

tore; Knight, Mary; Gomez Salazar, David; Grant, Krystal; Saeed, Sabeeh A.; Dickerson, Eric; Johnson; Thomas J.; Alese, Yetunde; Chambers, Alicia

N.; Collins, Jodi-Ann G.; Pell, Robert;

Brotschul, Richard & B. Lydia Esther;

Matos, William; Nanda, Manju;Pawelec, Agnieszka E.; Cohen, William I.; Arnedos, Frank V.; Nakash, Ester; Arnedos, Frank V.; Arnedos, Frank V.; Bone, Rafael; Vellten, Tara.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio