2004-11-05 / Community

Smith Fights For Do Not Solicit List

Saying homeowners in his district, as well as the rest of Queens, the Bronx and parts of Brooklyn “have been subjected to high pressure solicitations for the sale or leasing of their property,” State Senator Malcolm Smith said that homeowners can join a “do not solicit list” established by the Department of State.

To join the list, interested individuals may visit the Department’s Cease and Desist Registrations, Forms and List page at www.dos.state.ny.us, or call the Department’s licensing division at 212-417-5752.

“Once a home appears on the list, real estate brokers are prohibited from soliciting for the sale, lease, or its listing for sale or lease. In a way, it is similar to the State’s ‘do not call’ list. People joining that list no longer receive calls from telemarketers,” said Smith.

The Queens lawmaker noted that the Department held hearings in May and June to determine whether the cease and desist policy had been effective for those areas. By statute, the policy expired on September 1, 2004.

Homeowners included in the cease and desist lists published prior to September 2004 must submit a new owner’s statement to be included again.

“People have worked long and hard to purchase and pay the mortgage for their homes. It is a shame that a few unscrupulous agents would try to target homeowners. Fortunately, the State has taken the appropriate course of action to ensure that it doesn’t happen,” said Smith.

Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History