2004-07-09 / Community

Construction To Start On 100 Precinct

By Brian Magoolaghan

Construction To Start|
On 100 Precinct


The 100 Precinct stationhouse has been surrounded by a protective sidewalk shed since late 1999, when a crack in the parapet was spotted.The 100 Precinct stationhouse has been surrounded by a protective sidewalk shed since late 1999, when a crack in the parapet was spotted.

By Brian Magoolaghan

Repair work on the 100 Precinct stationhouse, which will be 75 years old in 2005, is scheduled to start next week after more than four years of surveying and planning, according to a top city construction official.

The ink is dry on a $2.8 million contract for an 18-month project, which will reconstruct the stationhouse's parapet, roof and leaky windows, said Matthew Monahan, Assistant Commissioner for the Department of Design and Construction. The Orba Construction Corporation, based in Lin_den, New Jersey, was awarded the job in May.

Passersby of the prominent property, located at 92-24 Rockaway Beach Boulevard, will begin to notice changes next week as scaffolding replaces the sidewalk shed, which has shrouded the stationhouse since November of 1999 at a cost of $2,000 per month. Wave readers will recall that a small fire broke out on the sidewalk shed in February. Firefighters responded and there were no injuries, but a burn mark remains under a window on the building's south wall.


The northwest corner of the stationhouse is covered with a large blue tarp to keep rainwater out.The northwest corner of the stationhouse is covered with a large blue tarp to keep rainwater out.

The stationhouse was built on the site of an old schoolhouse, which was demolished for the project back in the late 1920s. For about $200,000, the Brooklyn-based M.D. Lundin Construction Company built "the most modern stationhouse in the City of New York," according to Wave reports. It opened on January 31, 1930.


Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History