Historical Views of the Rockaways
of the Rockaways
by Emil Lucev, Curator
Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke
The Arverne Boardwalk’s Opening Season - 1901
Thanks to Christine O. Webb of Rockaway Beach for this Historical Views photo of Ar verne’s first elevated ocean boardwalk. The Grand Ocean Promenade, as it was called, went from Beach 74 Street to Beach 59 Street. The portion of the walk for 100 feet to the east and west of Rem ington Avenue (Beach 69 Street) was widened from the walks 25 foot width to 50 feet. There were many stores, baths and concessions on this 200 foot strip. Most of old Arverne’s class hotels were located close to the walk, with wooden ramps and walks to and from the walk. The walk was well attended during the summer season, and many an ice cream soda was downed in Young’s Ice Cream Parlor shown in the photo.
The ramp at the left comes up to the boards from the Arverne Casino, yes – that’s a CASINO, beside the huge Arverne/Prince Hotel on Beach 69 Street.
Our camera is at Beach 70 Street facing east. The large shadow on the horizon is the giant Edgemere Club Hotel on Beach 35 Street.
This walk was partially destroyed by storms during its lifespan. Parts were condemned by the city, until the present walk was built in the 1920’s.
The first Arverne walks were only four feet wide and built on the sand with support beams. There were three built between 1888 and 1901, when local land owners built the grand elevated walk.