From The Artists Studio
How wonderful that, in the throes of the "Winter of our Depressive Dis content," we have something to celebrate. Ah, Love! February 14. The day named after the Roman martyr, St. Valentine, devoted to expressing amour and devotion. And what better way of expressing that amour and devotion than through the arts. And what better way to contemplate those arts and that day than through, yes you guessed it, a Rockaway Artists Alliance Test Your Art Knowledge Quiz. Bonus, Bonus! The first person to email to RAA (at: firstname.lastname@example.org) all the correct answers to the quiz will win the chance to place a photo of his/her artwork in this column. Of course, the artwork must be good and appropriate to the standards of this column and of RAA. The judge of that will be85me.
So, get those brain cells sharpened and get to work, fast. 10 questions dedicated to the love in art and the art in love.
1. Name the great French sculptor of "The Kiss."
2. Name the director and the star of the film "Mighty Aphrodite."
3. What kind of place and what country is the setting for the opening scene of this movie?
4. Who painted "The Birth of Venus"?
5. Who sculpted the "Venus de Milo"?
6. In what French museum is this sculpture located?
7. Who wrote the famous love
poems, "Sonnets from the Portu -
guese?" Hint: She was mar ried to
8. Who wrote the play "Cyrano de Bergerac," about the large-nosed soldier, poet and philosopher who speaks words of love to the woman he adores by feeding those words to the handsome soldier with whom the woman is in love?
9. What film marked the first pairing of Spencer Tracy and Kat harine Hepburn?
10. In what Hitchcock opus do Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman enter a Rio hotel room in embrace and continue to passionately kiss each other all the way through the room and onto the balcony, in one of the greatest love scenes of all time?