2003-10-17 / Front Page

Three Dead In Escalating Local Violence

By Howard Schwach
Three Dead In Escalating Local Violence By Howard Schwach

Captain Walter Salowski, who took over the 101 Precinct from Deputy Inspector Kenneth Lindahl last week, must feel like a professional coach who takes over a team and then sees that team go into a losing streak.

Violence in that precinct, which covers the eastern end of the peninsula, escalated once again in the past week, leaving three locals dead in two separate incidents.

In the first incident, which occurred at 1133 Neilson Street in Far Rockaway at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, October 14, Edwina Michele, 41, was found dead from multiple stab wounds in both her head and her torso. She was found in her home, laying face up in the bedroom.

While two of her four children were found in the home, it is unclear as to where they were when the murder was taking place or what they saw. One report, unconfirmed at press time, was that the two young children were asleep in another room while the two older children were at school.

Police, however, say that Michele’s boyfriend, identified as Gary Frynet, 42, confessed the murder to his sister. The sister flagged down a police radio car in Jamaica and reported the murder. Detectives from the 113 Precinct notified the 101 Squad, causing them to go to the home.

Frynet was picked up at his Jamaica home. He reportedly told police that there had been a fight, but refused any further information without a lawyer. One law enforcement source said, however, that Frynet did admit to stabbing the victim once in the neck.

Records show that the police were called on at least one occasion prior to this incident for a domestic dispute.

A spokesperson for Queens District Attorney Richard Brown told The Wave that Frynet was arraigned on charges of murder in the second degree, tampering with physical evidence and criminal possession of a weapon. He faces 25 years to life in prison if he is convicted of the top charges.

In the second incident, which occurred at 7:48 a.m. on October 15, an unidentified 52-year-old woman was found shot once in the chest and once in the back at 324 Beach 59 Street. Also in the apartment was her husband, shot once in the head, in what police are calling a murder-suicide.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene by Emergency Medical work­ers, while the woman was taken to Peninsula Hospital Center, where she later succumbed to her injuries at 8:32 a.m.

Detectives from the 101 Squad are investigating both of the incidents.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio