Forty Years Of Ministry Celebrated
Beth-El Temple Church of God in Christ, where the pastor is Rev. Eloise Jones, has been celebrating 40 years of ministry this past week. The celebration will conclude on Sunday, September 28 at 5 p.m.
The late Rev. Charles H. Jones founded this ministry in 1959 at the Redfern Housing projects. It later moved to 101 Doughty Boulevard, where the building was destroyed by fire. After this tragedy, Beth-El moved to Beach 36 Street and Rockaway Beach Boulevard in Edgemere.
In 1974, the church met in a building on Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway. Services were conducted there for several months. After which they purchased the St. John’s-Trinity Church of Far Rockaway (known as Trinity Chapel).
Trinity Chapel (now Beth-El Temple) was founded by Frances Hewlett Bolton and designed by the prominent architect, Richard Upjohn in 1858. The building is 145 years old and was recently declared a National Architectural and Historical landmark. Pastor Jones and the members of this church have launched a Building/ Preservation Fund rally for the purpose of repairing, restoring, and preserving the building.
The ministries of this church have served the Rockaway community for many generations. Pastor Jones and the congregants hope to continue to serve the community, both now and for generations to come.
The church invites the entire Rockaway community to its annual Family and Friends Day to be held on Sunday, October 5 at 4 p.m..