2003-07-25 / Front Page

Far Rockaway Shootings Leave Two Dead

By Howard Schwach
Far Rockaway Shootings Leave Two Dead By Howard Schwach

Gun violence on Rockaway streets continued unabated this week with two Far Rockaway shootings that left a 25-year-old Chinese fast-food worker and a would-be shooter dead.

On Friday, July 18, Li Zhen Lin, a resident of Beach 24 Street, was working at the Beautiful Garden Chinese restaurant at 21-03 Cornaga Avenue in Far Rockaway.

According to police reports, at approximately 10:40 p.m., two men dressed in dark clothing came into the restaurant and demanded all of the cash in the cash register.

Police sources say they are not sure whether Lin resisted, or whether there was a language barrier, but police from the Atlas Unit, on patrol in the neighborhood, were flagged down by another employee. Upon responding to the call, the Atlas sergeant found her with one gunshot to the face and the cash register open and empty. She was declared dead at the scene by responding EMS workers.

Although there was a cook, Jing Ang, in the rear of the restaurant during the homicide, he did not see what happened, according to police.

Locadia Rodriquez, who owns a grocery store only two doors away, reportedly told police that she heard three gunshots and then two men with blood on their hands walked into her store and asked to buy a candle.

She reportedly asked what kind of candle they wanted, and the two left without further comment.

Rodriquez reportedly told police that she could see a handgun stuck in the pant’s pocket of one of the two men.

According to police, the two men ran from the scene, dropping cash along the street as they ran.

Police from the Queens South Task Force, the Queens Atlas Unit and the 101 Precinct conducted vertical searches in a few of the local buildings, with no results.

According to the police, the searches led to interviews with two unidentified witnesses, who were eating in the restaurant at the time of the robbery. The two said that they witnessed the two men enter the restaurant. One reportedly drew a gun and said, "give me the money," to the victim. The other male watched the door, and reportedly gave the two women permission to leave.

One published story said that the two hid in the grocery store and that the two men came to the store looking for the witnesses, but police cannot confirm that story.

A search by police officers from the Emergency Service Unit and the K-9 Unit was executed and one used shell was found at the scene.

Detectives from the 101 Precinct Squad, under the direction of sergeant Johnson and detectives from the Queens Homicide Squad are investigating.

No suspects have been identified nor have any arrests been made in connection with the case.

Only hours later and a few blocks away, at 8:03 p.m. on July 19, in front of 19-25 Cornaga Avenue, police say that Lewis Jackson, 68, of Mays Landing New Jersey, confronted his ex-girlfriend, identified as Floretta Dundee, of Brooklyn and her new boyfriend, identified as Thomas Dixon, of Arverne.

An argument reportedly ensued and Jackson pulled out a handgun and took a number of shots at the unidentified woman and her boyfriend, missing with each shot. He chased Dixon down the street, repeatedly shooting at him.

He then reportedly fell down and turned the handgun on himself, shooting himself once in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police checked both local hospitals for victims of the shots, but apparently, nobody was hit in the barrage.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio