Historical Views of the Rockaways
of the Rockaways
Fishing Station – 1950
Many thanks to Ms. Elaine McNamara for the pictures used in today’s historical view. Captain Thomas Ahlqhuist, a native of Finland, ran a fishing station at 92-14 Beach Channel Drive. Captain Ahlquist also owned the Jamaica Bay Towing Company, and kept his tugs at the foot of Beach 74 Street and Amstel Boulevard in Arverne. In the old days, it was his tugs that pulled the Playland fireworks barge.
Another company was operating a party fishing boat named "Espade" at the same time.
The good captain opened his fishing station in the 1940s, having built the 23 powerboats he rented. Boats were also built for the Brooklyn Day Camp in Arverne (the old Shonke Lumber Company).
In one photo the captain is teaching his great niece, Elaine Weis, to row! The house shown was torn down when the second Cross Bay Bridge was built in 1938. On the left, the old court house is a gray lady!
On the right in the boat/ float/ bridge photo are pilings that once held up the Moulin Rouge (red mill) restaurant, which had the first nickel juke box in the Rockaways. The Red Mill was at first Monte Carlo built n 1926.
The present Pier 92 restaurant, McDonalds, and the Wharf restaurant-bar occupy the old site shown.
The third photo shows Captain Ahlquist and family frolicking with their pet bulldog.