Historical Views of the Rockaways
of the Rockaways
During the early 1900’s Far Rockaway had two golf courses. One was in Bayswater, and the other – known as the Ocean County golf links – was east of Beach 9 Street below Caffrey Avenue. The Ocean Country Club maintained the grounds, which were also used for military drill by locals. Not much is known about the Ocean Country Club other than the name and the golf course.
Many greenhouses were located in Far Rockaway on large estates. Such is the one shown today on the Louis A. Solomon estate, which became part of Bayswater Park – south of Dwight Avenue. The Solomon estate contained 9 acres of upland and 194 acres of Marshland (1912 atlas).
Does anyone remember playing golf in Far Rockaway?