2003-06-13 / Columnists

Historical Views of the Rockaways

Southeast Corner
Historical Views of the Rockaways Southeast Corner – Mott And Central Avenues, 1905

Historical Views
of the Rockaways
Southeast Corner – Mott
And Central Avenues, 1905


This week’s Historical View was shot in 1905, and shows the southeast corner of Mott and Central Avenues in that year. Mott Avenue runs left to right (or east to west) and Central Avenue with its trolley tracks runs down to the beach from bottom right. Cornaga Avenue is in the distance.

The Dennis and Doolittle Drugstore is on the corner, followed by Easton’s Boots and Shoes – then Korties Tailor Shop and the Voehl Brothers Butcher Shop and Fish Market. At present the Smith Building occupies this corner of Mott and Central.

Continuing down Central we have the Gimbel Bakery, the Hotel Francis, The Wave Far Rockaway office, the Rockaway Journal newspaper office, Toleman’s Hats and Shoes and Lowes Drugstore on Cornaga Avenue.

Photo two was taken from atop the Mulhearn Building on the southwest corner of Mott and Central, looking southeast towards Beach 19 Street. The Voehl Brothers Butcher Shop Building is at bottom left and Cornaga Avenue is on the right.


The roof with the peaked décor directly below the camera (bottom left) belongs to the Waldorf Opera House; a Far Rockaway Amusement Palace, which featured Wild West, shows in the old days. In 1910 the Woolworth Company opened a store (five and dime) therein. Compare the upper and lower (if you will) views of Central Avenue, and then to Historical Views – April 13, 2002.

On the left and not shown in the photo were two vaudeville and silent movie theaters on Mott Avenue at Beach 19 Street.

The Park Avenue Car Service ran an electric car service from Beach 116 Street to Far Rockaway station. They never advertised what the fare was! I wonder!


Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History