From The Artists Studio
Two weekends of double bills with the RAA are coming up. Saturday, June 14 and Sunday, June 15: 1) Artist Bill Beirne and his T’ai Chi Army "invade" Fort Tilden at Battery Harris. Read more about this toy (soldier) story in another part of this newspaper. 2) See what The Daily News, Newsday, Q-Guide and other papers have been writing about – "Through the Lens: An RAA Photography Exhibition" and "Unbroken: An Exhibition of Hope and Determination" continue this weekend at studio 6 and sTudio 7 galleries at Fort Tilden. Admission is free. Gallery hours are Saturdays, 12-5 p.m. and Sundays 1-4 p.m. These two exciting exhibits run through June 29.
Prepare yourself for an even Wilder weekend on Friday, June 20 and Saturday, June 21. Yes, Movies by Moonlight is back! 2 nights of classic movies, FREE, under the stars. Friday, "Young Frankenstein" (pronounced frahnk’-en-shteen); Saturday, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." Both at 8:45 p.m. Blankets, beach chairs, popcorn, yadda, yadda – you know the rest. But, there may be stuff you don’t know. Liiiiiike………….
Want to test yourself?
1. What actor, whose real name is Jerome Silberman, starred in both films? (Hint: Look at the first sentence of this paragraph). In what movie did he make his feature film debut? (Hint: 60’s movie about 2 young gangster/ lovers).
2. Name the two "Mels" that directed "Young Frankenstein" and "Willy Wonka." hink of one – won’t you be surprised next week when you find out).
3. What actor who stars in "Everybody Loves Raymond" plays the Frankenstein (pronounced frahnk’-en-shteen) Monster? (Hint: His name in "Raymond" is very similar to Frankenstein).
4. What 19th century woman wrote the novel "Frankenstein"? (Hint: Married to Percy Blythe Shelley).
5. What Welsh-born writer penned the book upon which "Willy Wonka" was based and the screenplay? (Hint: Surname sounds like a human figure toy).
6. What was the title of the book? (Hint: Too late at night to think of one).
7. What film studio is slated to make a new movie based on the same book? (Hint: The Dubya Bee).
8. In what year was "Willy Wonka" released?
9. What two films were shown at last year’s Movies by Moonlight? (Hint: You loved them both).
Answers next week.
"W. Wonka" – boy wins tour of eccentric and wonderful candy factory
"Y. Frankenstein" – man inherits grandpa’s eccentric castle and monster.
Don’t miss either night.
"Local Motion: A Sports Show" is RAA’s upcoming exhibition. Theme: Athletes, fans, sports and sporting events, with the emphasis on the sports of Fort Tilden, Riis Park, Rockaway and the surrounding areas. RAA encourages you to go out there and take a great photo of your kid’s football game. Or capture in oils that solitary player shooting hoops in the park. Or did you already sculpt a soccer hero of the World Cup? Enter what should prove to be an exciting and fun show. Contact RAA for submission guidelines. Submission deadline is June 23. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. or log onto: www.rockawayartistsalliance.com.
Digital artists – DIGITALSPLASH 2003 is coming. Log onto www.rockawayartistsalliance.com to learn about submission to RAA’s upcoming digital art show.
RAA thanks instructor Christine Mullally and the members of her Creative Writing Workshop for presenting readings of their works at the last general meeting. Each was unique, engrossing and finely crafted. Mullally read a poem of her own – particularly clever and brilliantly tuned. We look forward to hearing more.
Izabella Slobodoff is participating in a group sculpture show at Gallery North in Setauket, NY through July 6. For more information log onto: www. gallerynorth.org.
See you at the Fort. Bring a friend.