2003-03-08 / Front Page

‘We Don’t Know What Happened’

"Accidental" Bayswater Shooting Kills 16-Year-old
By Brian Magoolaghan
'We Don't Know What Happened' 'Accidental' Bayswater Shooting Kills 16-Year-old By Brian Magoolaghan

'We Don't Know What Happened'
'Accidental' Bayswater Shooting Kills 16-Year-old
By Brian Magoolaghan

Delano SamuelsDelano Samuels

Winston Samuels' eyeglasses rested on top of a plush beige pillow, in the family room of his Bayswater home, with a small white tissue tucked under them. Beside the glasses was a half-full box of Marcal tissues and a portable telephone. For a moment, the calls to that phone, which came from as far away as Trinidad, Jamaica, and London, stopped and Samuel moved from the couch into another room to sit with two men who came to pay their respects.

Remaining in the sunlit family room, surrounded by wedding photos, candles, and the other items that make for a comfortable home, were Carol Samuels, Yvonne Giscombe, and Patricia Carr. They are the mother, aunt, and family friend, respectively, of 16-year-old Delano Samuels. All sat quietly, fondly remembering the young man they collectively described as a good person.

"He was just a loving kid, outgoing and ready to help," Giscombe said.

Delano was killed inside a house at 22-17 Collier Ave., about a mile from his home, by a single gunshot wound to the chest on Saturday March 1, according to the New York City Police Department.

On Sunday, de-tectives from the 101st Precinct sqad arrested two black male subjects, 18-year-old Julain Outcalt of 31-14 Healey Avenue, and a 14-year-old whose name authorities are withholding because he is a minor.

Outcalt has been charged with fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, while the minor has been charged with second-degree manslaughter, and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

Delano's day was supposed to be very different. He and younger brother Daniel, 14, told their parents they were going to the Green Acres Mall area to see a movie, Carol said. They left their house on Plunkett Ave. in Bayswater, at approximately 11 a.m., but they apparently didn't go to a theater. Later that afternoon, at St. John's Episcopal Hospital, in Far Rockaway, Delano was pronounced dead. His family says they are not sure exactly what happened in between, and authorities are now investigating what New York City Police Officer Jennara Everleth, a spokesperson for the department's Deputy Commissioner for Public Information (DCPI) called a shooting that "looks accidental."

The nightmare for Delano's mother began when she answered her cellular telephone Saturday afternoon, and was given the terrible news - that her son had been shot. She said she was in disbelief. By the time she reached the hospital, she said, he was dead. The cell call would be the first of many, as family, friends, and neighbors began to learn what happened.

One condolence call came from Delano's 19-year-old cousin Jodie Giles, who was compelled to write about what she called "a very foolish accident." She recalled his "brown eyes and charming smile," and she remorsefully said that her cousin's killer would have to live with the pain and consequences of his actions for the rest of his life. Giles called Delano a "special person," and through tears, expressed sadness because he couldn't be brought back "today or tomorrow."

As they sat in the Samuels' living room two days after the shooting, Carol, and Carr shared other thoughts about Delano. Carol said her son was "basically a good kid." She called him a "people person." Delano had some trouble at Far Rockaway High School, where he was a student along with Daniel, and he didn't have the "right" friends, she said, but he was "smart and helpful." She added that the neighbors "will tell you good things about Delano." She said he enjoyed sports such as basketball, and loved collecting model cars of all types. Both parents, Jamaican immigrants living in the United States for over 20 years, described him as a young man who wanted to work. They said he liked to fix bicycles, that he wanted to get summer employment as soon as he was old enough, and that he eventually wanted to go to trade school. Winston, who works at St. Vincent's Hospital, and Carol, who works for a foster care agency, seemed proud of Delano.

Carr showed shock and tempered outrage, when she asked the parents, "How dare [they] take him away from us?"

Outcalt, arraigned on Monday March 3 in Queens Criminal Court has admitted finding a loaded .380 semi-automatic handgun, according to a representative at Queens District Attorney Richard Brown's office. Outcalt said the minor took the gun from him, according to Brown's office, and that he later heard shots and found Delano had been wounded. The minor, according to Outcalt's statements and Brown's office, threw the gun into a sewer, after the shooting.

The Queens Family Court City Corporation Counsel, will be handling the prosecution of the minor. Outcalt's next Queens Criminal Court date is scheduled for March 17, according to Brown's office.

The Monday after the shooting, many visitors came and went from the Samuels' residence. One man, a friend of the family, stood beside a chair in the family room and said a prayer out loud. As the man spoke, Winston shook his head slightly from side to side, removed his eyeglasses, and placed them on a tissue as he touched his thumb and forefinger to the inner corners of his eyes.

The funeral service for Delano will be held Friday March 7 at Jeremiah C. Gaffney's Funeral Home in Far Rockaway. He will be buried Saturday March 8, at Amityville Cemetery, in Amityville.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio