2002-10-12 / Community

Addabbo: ‘Bulkheads Project Moving Forward’

City Councilman Joseph P. Addabbo, Jr. announced that the long awaited reconstruction of the old Howard Beach bulkheads would soon become a reality. Addabbo said that the City Department of Design and Construction has advised him that they anticipate that the actual design of the project will be completed in November of this year. The projected start of construction will be in the spring of 2003 and is expected to take a year to complete.

Addabbo has been in the forefront of the effort to get the bulkheads rebuilt after getting complains from his Howard Beach constituents about the deteriorating condition of the current bulkheads.

"This project is long overdo and I am working on it to become a reality," said Addabbo.

On August 20 of last year, Councilman Addabbo had a meeting at the bulkhead site with Anthony Pollio, Borough Director for South Queens of the City Department of Design and Construction. Addabbo termed the meeting, "very informative" and told Pollio that he was "most interested in the project."

In a subsequent letter to Richard Ocken, Deputy Commissioner of the City Department of Design and Construction, concerning the bulkhead project, Addabbo stated, "due to the financial condition of the City, I am concerned that the funding could evaporate for this much-needed project." Addabbo then asked Commissioner Ocken to expedite the project.

According to the City Department of Design and Construction the old Howard Beach Bulkheads Project is estimated to cost $ 720,000 and the scope of the project will include the following: 165 Avenue - West of 95 Street, 164 Avenue - East of 99 Street, 162 Avenue - East of 99 Street, 161 Avenue - East of 99 Street and 101 Street - South of 160 Avenue.

For further information or questions about the project, call Councilman Addabbo’s office at (718) 738-1111.


Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History