2002-06-15 / Community

Beth-El Temple Designated Landmark

Beth-El Temple Designated Landmark

The Beth-El Temple Church, located at 1874 Mott Avenue, Far Rockaway, and Pastor Eloise Jones is celebrating the declaration of the church as an architectural and historical landmark.

The Church’s historic name is Trinity Chapel; also known as St. John’s Church, and current name Beth-El Temple Church of God in Christ.

The Church was built Trinity Chapel in 1858, a design of the prominent architect Richard Upjohn, as a mission to the Episcopal Church (Trinity Church) in Hewlett. According to Margaret M. Lovering, author of "The Story of Trinity-St. John’s Church," Francis Hewlett Bolton (Mrs. H. W. Bolton) of Far Rockaway played a key role in the founding of the chapel.

Trinity Chapel is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the neighborhood. In 1881, it became an independent parish and changed its name to St. John’ s of Far Rockaway. In 1975, the Beth-El Temple Church of God in Christ purchased it under the leadership of the late Pastor and Founder, Rev. Dr. Charles H. Jones.

The historic church has served many generations of congregants, including soldiers of the First World War.

In a great attempt to restore and preserve the building, Pastor Eloise Jones, Trustees, officials and members have launched a great Restoration Fund Rally, which currently consists of a series of services, beginning from March through June 15. The services are called The Twelve Apostle Service. However, there will be many other events to follow in this effort of restoration. The Gospel (Quartet) Singers, Senior Citizens, Youth and other organizations have been a strong support to this effort.

The Church serves the community with Outreach Programs; such as clothes giveaways, food distribution (intervals), street ministries, tract ministry for educational purposes, and a "Gospel Fiesta on the Lawn Service" every year. There is a variety of hot and cold foods, presenting gospel groups/choirs in song, men and women preaching and teaching the Gospel and prayer for all from 12:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. on Sundays during July and August.


Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History

 

 

Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio