From The Artists Studio Rockaway Artists Alliance Two Open Calls To Artists – ‘Art Frenzy’ and ‘Remembering’
From The Artists Studio
Rockaway Artists Alliance
Two Open Calls To Artists
â018Art Frenzy' and â018Remembering'
The Rockaway Artists Alliance is hosting multimedia events as part of the Queens Council on the Arts second annual Art Frenzy weekend. These Rockaway Arts Center events take place June 8 and 9 at Fort Tilden, in partnership with Gateway National Recreation Area. The jurors for these events will be Valerie Smith, Director of Exhibitions for the Queens Museum of Art and Robyn Love, Gallery Curator for Queens Theatre in the Park. Visual artists of all media and performing artists are invited to participate. Sculpture, photography, fine arts, dance, video, poetry, ceramics, jewelry, music and performance will all be considered for this extravaganza. RAA's sTudio 6 and sTudio 7 galleries, outdoor stage, sculpture garden and the surrounding park will be utilized. Performing artist participants will form the framework of special events, both indoor and outdoor.
Deadline for submission of work: March 6, 2002. Acceptance notification: March 20. Drop-off: April 13 and 14 from 2 pm-4 pm. Sculpture installation to be arranged before April 10. Exhibition dates: May 25-June 23 featuring the Art Frenzy festival weekend of June 8 and 9. Pick-up: Sunday, June 23, 2 pm-4 pm and Saturday, June 29, 2 pm- 7pm.
Send a $25 entry fee, resume (include email address), artist statement and self-addressed stamped envelope to: Art Frenzy/ Rockaway Artists Alliance/ 260 Beach 116th Street/ Rockaway Park, NY 11694. Include:
- Slides: 3-20 slides are to be placed in a slide sheet and labeled with artist's name, slide number, medium, title of work, size and price. A corresponding slide list sheet should include any specific installation requirements.
- Video/dance/performance/poetry: Queue one VHS/audio tape or CD for immediate play. Submit a short statement detailing the work to be seen.
- Site specific works: A one page written description detailing the scope of intended piece, drawings and/or slides of previous projects.
- Art Organizations/Groups: Submit any of the above, as appropriate.
Note: There is a 20% donation to RAA on sales.
Site walks: Wednesday, February 20 and Sunday, February 24 at noon.
Call the RAA office for appointments and additional information.
Remembering an exhibition of art remembering our losses and reflecting on our future.
The Rockaway Artists Alliance is hosting Remembering throughout the month of April 2002 at Fort Tilden, in partnership with Gateway National Recreation Area. Sculpture, photography, fine arts, dance, video, poetry, ceramics, music and performance will all be considered. This expansive and inclusive event will take place in RAA's large alternative space, sTudio 7.
All accepted work will be juried for a special RAA exhibition to be shown at the Queens Council on the Arts, Art Frenzy in Rockaway. The juror is Robyn Love, Gallery Curator for the Queens Theatre in the Park.
Deadline for submission of work: March 9, 2002. Acceptance notification: March 23. Exhibition dates: April 6 April 28. Reception: Sunday, April 7, 1-3 p.m.
- Artist statement, resume, address, phone number, email address.
- Slides: see above (i.e. Art Frenzy guidelines)
- Video/dance/music/poetry: see above
- Self addressed stamped envelope, if you wish your material returned
- All submissions must be ready to hang. Artists must provide pedestals
- If accepted Hanging fee: $20 (RAA members)/ $30 (non-members), 10% donation to RAA on all sales.
Send to: Rockaway Artists Alliance REMEMBERING/ 260 Beach 116th Street/ Rockaway Park, NY 11694
For information contact RAA.
Denis Macrae's "Snowy Egret in Snow" will be awarded second prize in the prestigious Jamaica Bay Wildlife Preserve Photo Contest. The ceremony is Sunday, February 23 at 1 p.m. Macrae will lead a birdwatching walk immediately following the ceremony. The preserve is located off Crossbay Boulevard in Broad Channel.
The work of RAA member Callie Danae Hirsch is on display through March 2 in the Leslie-LohmanArt Foundation Juried Group Show at 127 Prince Street, Manhattan. Hirsch has received much attention for her paintings in RAA's exhibition at sTudio 6 Gallery, "PASSION RED." Check out her web site: www.CallieArt.com.
Have an artistically passionate week.
Old Glory is proudly displayed at the Joseph Addabbo Bridge in Howard Beach at the inauguration of Joe Addabbo, Jr. as a City Councilman. The picture is part of the Passion Red exhibition now going on.