2002-02-09 / Front Page

Shot Cop Released From Hospital

By Howard Schwach

The Emergency Services Unit (ESU) police officer shot during a standoff with an emotionally disturbed teenager at 121-07 Newport Avenue in Rockaway Park a week ago has been released from the hospital. The Rockaway teenager, Timothy Fahey, 18, who shot him during a hostage negotiation session remains in the Kings County Hospital psychiatric ward for evaluation, according to police sources.

Police Officer Kevin Boyle, 44, of Massapequa, was shot in the left calf as other ESU officers attempted to break down the door of the bathroom where the youth had locked himself, brandishing a pistol.

Police sources gave the following account of the incident.

The shooting occurred following a 911 call from a woman who said that a young man with a history of mental problems had armed himself with a baseball bat and was "acting aggressively."

The first officers to arrive at the scene found Fahey struggling with his grandfather, a retired detective, for the bat. When Fahey saw the cops, he retreated into the bathroom and barricaded himself in.

Members of the elite ESU responded to a call for a "Barricaded EDP," a call they typically handle a few times each week.

ESU negotiators tried for an hour to get Fahey to come out of the bathroom. While his grandfather had two registered handguns in the house, both of them were accounted for by police.

ESU officers finally used a sledgehammer to take out the bottom panel of the bathroom door. They used a Taser gun to stun Fahey, but he managed to fire two shots before he went down.

One of those shots hit Officer Boyle, a 17-year-veteran of the force.

The entire area around the scene was cordoned off by police for several hours after the incident to preserve the crime scene

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio