Historical Views by Emil Lucev The Holland Dock –1918 and 1920
Historical Views by Emil Lucev
The Holland Dock –1918 and 1920
Before the Bayfront from Beach 88 Street to Beach 116 Street was bulkheaded and filled, Beach 92 Street – from the Long Island Railroad tracks (the present freeway) to the Pier 92 and McDonald’s eateries – was a long elevated by wood piling walkway known as the Holland Dock.
Fishing and yacht clubs lined both sides of the Holland Dock, with a paved street between. The Holland Dock was connected to each of these clubs by a sidewalk to each building.
The severe winters and storms of same, in the years 1918 and 1920, performed a carbon copy of damage inflicted on the Holland Dock – by bay ice pulling up wooden piling with the rise of the tide – after the cold had frozen the surface of the bay water around the pilings.
This caused the Holland Dock to look like a graph on a chart.
Today’s historical view was taken from a building on the east side of Holland Dock (most likely from Grogan’s Restaurant just off the Bayshore) and the view is to the northwest. Across from Grogan’s on the west side of Holland Dock, (also near the shore) was the Dalcassian Fishing Club – the Daniel M. O’Connell American Legion Post building today on beach 92 Street.
The six men posing on the uprooted dock are lucky. The first Holland Dock was entirely carried away by ice on the outgoing tide – in the mid 1880’s. More coming next week!
Also shown today is a view of the old Holland Dock from the railroad tracks. The railroads gatekeeper is on the left, and Grogan’s Restaurant is on the right. The postmark is dated September of 1913.