From The Artists Studio...
From The Artists Studio...
By Susan Hartenstein
There are still spaces available in two of the adult art classes RAA is giving in sTudio-6, Fort Tilden. "Drawing" runs eight consecutive Saturdays – March 10, 17, 24, 31 and April 7, 14, 21, 28 – from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. "Clay Sculpture" runs six consecutive Saturdays – March 10 through 31 and April 7 and 14 – from 2 to 4 p.m. Aaron Zeidman teaches "Drawing" and Miriam Abraham teaches "Clay Sculpture." Students must be 18 years of age or older. All supplies will be provided. For further details and to register, call the RAA office at 260 Beach 116 Street or email us at RockArt116@aol.com.
Many contributed to making "Winter Solace" a very special afternoon. Surrounded by artwork created by the human hand, within a setting of the artwork created by nature, old friends and new acquaintances gathered to enjoy the talents of singers, musicians and poets. On this beautiful late February day, a large group of visitors came to sTudio-6 for a unique event. Michael Finnegan, Apryl Green, Albert Green, Joanne Marnick, Marty Tisch and, as a special surprise, Elly Delgado performed musical numbers, which included brilliant spontaneous collaborations, that had a delighted audience calling for more. Interspersed among these exuberant pleasures, James Cos-grove, Dee Dickason and Aaron Zeidman read their original poetry. Kevin Callaghan and I read the poetry of others. RAA could never fully express its gratitude to these generous and talented artists. How terrific to know that they all live in and around Rockaway. How terrific that the Rockaway Arts Center is a place where they are coming together to combine their talents for the enjoyment of people from Rockaway, the mainland, Brooklyn and beyond. Special thanks to Karen McCallion, who organized the refreshments and decorations. This event would not have been possible without her. The RAA proves itself to be a family, again and again. To all those members who contributed their delicious food dishes, thank you so much. Thank you to the RAA advisory board members who came to show their support – Roy Fox, Terri Osborne and Rosemary Murray. Thank you, likewise, to State Senator Malcolm Smith, Chamber of Commerce President Liz Sulik and Gateway Site Manager Alex Romero. To all those who attended – you are wonderful. More and more of you are learning about the artists of this peninsula. Keep coming. Keep supporting our efforts. We need you. "Winter Solace" was a "Paint the Town Red" event presented in conjunction with Gateway National Recreation Area, the Rockaway Chamber of Commerce, the Queens Tourism Council, and NYC & Company.
- Look for Apryl Green, Marty Tisch and the rest of The Blues Club to be playing again soon at Curran’s on 116 Street, and at other local clubs. This is a fantastic band that not only performs locally, but also at various clubs in and around the New York area. Apryl sings the dynamite lead vocals, Marty on guitar, Tom Graves on keyboard, James Jefferson on drums, Rob Robertson on bass.
- Elly Delgado and Joanne Marnick used to sing together in "Suite Rhythm." They will be blending their terrific sounds at Ciro’s Bakery on Beach 129 Street sometime in the next couple of months. Watch this column and for signs posted in the bakery.
Heads up –
- This is the final weekend to see the RAA exhibit "Interior/ Exterior." Gallery hours are Saturday 12 – 5 p.m. and Sunday 1 – 4 p.m. Admission is free.
- RAA members participating in this exhibit – pick up your work at sTudio-6 on Sunday, March 11 between 1 and 4 p.m. Absolutely can’t? Call Martha Killian or me.
Important reminder –
- "An Introduction to the Murals of Allyn Cox," a slide presentation by Everett Molinari, will be given at RAA’s next general meeting this Monday, March 12 at 7:30 p.m. in building T-149, Fort Tilden.
In following weeks watch this column for information about upcoming RAA exhibitions and events, other local and non-local art events, and bios of local artists. And maybe even a little surprise or two. Keep listening.