Sanitation Dept. Alerts Public:
In observance of New Year’s Day, there will be no street cleaning, garbage or recycling collection on Monday, January 1 by the New York City Department of Sanitation.
Residents should comply with the following adjusted schedules:
Garbage Collection Schedule
- Residents who normally receive Monday garbage collection should place their trash out at curbside Monday evening, for pickup on Tuesday, January 2.
- On Tuesday, some residents may have their garbage picked up at an earlier or later time than normal.
- Areas that regularly receive garbage collection on Tuesday, January 2 should place their trash out at curbside Monday evening, as they normally would.
Recycling Collection Schedule
- Residents who normally receive Monday recycling collection will not have their recycling material picked up Tuesday, January 2.
- Areas that are scheduled to receive recycling collection on Tuesday, January 2 should place their recyclables out at the curbside Monday evening.
- Residents and owners of commercial establishments who unlawfully leave their recyclables out at curbside over the weekend are subject to a fine of up to $250.
Shopkeepers, restaurant managers, and other merchants who are serviced by private carting companies should contact their refuse haulers to determine whether they will receive collection on the holiday.
The Sanitation Department’s administrative offices will be closed on Monday, January 1 in observance of the holiday. Further information can be obtained by the department’s website at www.nyc.gov/sanitation.