From The Artists Studio
In honor of Thanksgiving and the holidays to come – fanfare, please – The Fourth (or is it fifth?) Rockaway Artists Alliance Test Your Art Knowledge Quiz. Yes, I know that our brains are still trying to absorb all that turkey and that turkeys are so stupid they have been known to drown by looking skyward when it rains and that eating as much of that bird as we have recently has probably temporarily reduced our IQs by at least 50 points. But have no fear. I have reduced the difficulty of this week’s questions. Piece of cake. Or should I say pumpkin pie. So here goes. Answers will be in next week’s column.
- Name the bird often used to decorate American furniture and decorative arts after the Revolutionary War. Hint: In 1786 the bird became the official seal (no pun intended) of the United States.
- It has been said that when this creator of the famous painting "Guernica" was asked by a journalist to explain its meaning in words, the artist sarcastically replied that if he had wanted to say it in words he would have written a novel. Who was this artist?
- What 20th Century war was the subject of "Guernica?" Hint: "Generalisimo Francisco Franco is still dead."
- Name the huge piece of sculpture given by France to the United States as a 100th birthday gift. The sculptor was Frederic Bartholdi.
- What was Rembrandt’s nationality?
- What fellow Dutchman (Oops, is that too much of a clue for the last question?) and contemporary of Rembrandt’s, was also a great portraitist? He painted "Malle Babbe" and "The Jolly Toper."
- This creator of "The Last Supper" painted an altar panel entitled "Virgin of the Rocks" in which the infant Saint John is pictured adoring the Infant Christ in the presence of the Virgin Mary and an angel. The artist has painted the figures in a fine haze, called "sfumato", which gives the panel a warmth and dreamlike quality. Name this Renaissance Italian artist.
- What famous American architect designed "Taliesin", his own home at Spring Green Wisconsin?
- What French post-impressionist artist created "A Sunday on the Grande Jatte"?
- What is the Grande Jatte?
OK, OK. So a couple of them were a little tough. What is life without a challenge? Next week you’ll be happy that you’ve learned something new.
- This Saturday and Sunday RAA will participate in the Saint Camillus holiday boutique, Springman Hall. Artworks small and medium-sized will be available to peruse and purchase. Greeting cards and prints by M. Elliott Killian, Maureen McGuire and others; beautiful sculptural jewelry by Renee Lee Rosenberg; photographs and much more. Get that holiday shopping done in one "fell swoop."
- December 11 – 7:30 p.m. – T-149, Fort Tilden -- RAA general meeting and holiday party. Includes grab bag exchange not to be missed. Clean out your basement while enriching the lives of others. Wrap and bring that (those) "prized" item(s) you could live without but sense others may treasure. Zany, silly and lots of fun.
Hope you had a terrific Thanksgiving. Come back next week. In the interim, enjoy coming up with those answers.