2000-11-25 / Sports

NYC Ice Hockey News Sharks Pose Little Threat To Stars

NYC Ice Hockey News
Sharks Pose Little Threat To Stars

On Sunday, November 12 the New York Stars Mites hosted cross town rivals the Staten Island Sharks to one heck of a game. The game was slightly delayed since there were no referees at the rink to officiate the game. So the Stars head coach, Dan Gerardi, stepped in and referred the game with the approval of the Sharks. This had no effect on either team since Coach Danny refereed a fair game as agreed by both teams. It still must have been hard to do for him since he is the head coach and could not say anything to his players on the ice. But his players understood this and listened to directions of coaches Dan Balsamo, John Bello and George Leonard.

The Stars opened the game up on the offensive with T.J. Leonard at center between Anthony Galeano with Joe Calabrese on wings with defensemen Ed Medina and Sean Murphy. They all came out flying right from the drop of the puck with crisp passing back and forth in the offensive zone. Sharks goal tending was the big falter of keeping this line off the board. With a line change for the Stars of Nicky Amendola at center between wings Alyssa Bello and Geoff Liter with defensemen of Ivan Ivlev and Dillon Balsamo, this started the Stars scoring off, with end to end play. Geoff Liter took the puck out from the defensive zone across mid ice. He fed a pass over to Nicky who slapped a shot into the far corner of the net with 10:05 left in the period for a 1-0 lead.

Stars second goal came about due to great defense in front of their net by Ed and Sean Murphy. They stopped the Sharks attack and worked the puck up the boards to winger Geoff. Geoff then sent a perfect cross ice pass to centerman T.J, who took it down the slot and wristed it up high past the Sharks’ goalie with 4:25 left in the period for a 2-0 lead.

After some hard work at mid-ice by both teams trapping each other, the Stars took another bite out of the Sharks. Stars wingers, Joe Gilhooly and Joe Bello, working the corners against the Sharks defense when Stars centerman Nicky was able to draw the puck out to defenseman Dillon at the point. Dillon elected to pass the puck over to Joe B. in the far crease area, instead of shooting. Joe B. grazed the puck and banged it in before the Sharks’ goalie could even move with 1:22 left in the period for a 3-0 lead.

The second period started out with even more pressure than the first period. The Stars went on the offensive again and ended upon a three on one with Nicky, Alyssa and Dillon. Nicky passed the puck up to Dillon and he wristed a shot high on the stick side for a 4-0 lead.

Sharks’ winger R. Kennedy passed the puck to D. DeFranco in the right hand corner from the Stars’ goalie Joe Serrantonio. Then De Franco passed the puck out in front of the net, only to have the puck deflect into the net off a Stars player. This put the Sharks on the board with 3:31 left in the period. Stars’ goalie Joe S., never had a chance to stop it, this would end Joe S.’s five and a half periods of shut out hockey. This didn’t bother Joe S. at all and you could still see him smiling through his mask.

Two minutes later Stars’ defenseman Dillon passed the puck up the boards to winger Joe C. who skated over the blue line. Then Joe C. fed a perfect pass across ice to Nicky for a breakaway. Nicky went in and wristed a high shot up and over the Sharks’ goalie with 1:31 left in the period. This ended the second period with the Stars leading 5-1.

The Stars’ defense of Ed, Sean, Ivan and Dillon, kept the Sharks offense bottled up for two straight periods allowing only six shots on net.

The Stars’ third period scoring started on the power play. Defenseman Dillon took a shot from the point. A rebound came out to Geoff who banged it into the opposite corner of the net with 11:02 left in the game. Stars next goal was due to excellent work behind the net by Joe G. and T.J. against the Sharks’ defense. T.J. stole the puck and passed it across to Joe C. in front of the net. Joe C. slapped it home for a 7-1 lead with 10:21 left in the game.

The Sharks still didn’t give up and found themselves on a 3 on 2 coming in on net. Sharks’ DeFranco brothers and F. Coscia were passing the puck back and forth. M. DeFranco took a shot on Stars’ goalie Joe S. that he blocked only to have F. Coscia bang in the rebound. A minute and a half later, Sharks R. Kennedy broke through the Stars’ defense. He just barely beat the goalie with 6:45 left in the period.

Stars answered this goal with one of their own. Nicky stole the puck and fed Dillon with a nice pass. Then Dillon skated in on the Sharks’ goalie and slapped it past him on the stick side for a 9-3 lead.

One minute later the Sharks over powered the Stars in front of the net and scored. L. Zocco banged it in with 5:09 left in the game on a pass from R. Silvestei to cut the lead to 9-4.

Stars’ Nicky finished out the scoring when he stole the puck deep in the Sharks end. He wristed a high heater into the net with 0:41 seconds left in the game for a final score of 10-4.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio