Historical Views by Emil Lucev Relocation Of Structures For Boardwalk Construction
Historical Views by Emil Lucev
Relocation Of Structures For Boardwalk Construction
During the initial construction of our boardwalk (between the years 1925 and 1931 plus), many proprietors of concessions and bathhouses near the beachfront–applied for and secured spots–along the north side of the new boardwalk. Construction on the beach side was no longer allowed.
These diehard proprietors either built a new or moved their existing establishments to their new locations by the ocean promenade. One such establishment–moved–was Howe’s Baths and Pleasure Beach.
Thanks to Frank and Mae Scalia of Long Island, today’s Historical Views features these photos of Howe’s bath house being moved from its old location at Beach 36 street on the beach to the new site between Beach 33 and Beach 34 street near the new boardwalk. Mrs. Scalia is the daughter of Charles P. Weis of Broad Channel, whose house moving company moved Howe’s baths in 1931. Mrs. Scalia and her sister, Dotty are the two young girls pictured in photo number one of Howe’s Baths and Pleasure Park. The first photo shows the bathhouse portion, which contained about 100 units for beach goers.
As you will also notice in photo number one, the bathhouse building has a wooden platform around it–as did many beachfront places in the old days before the boardwalk was constructed. The boards practically eliminated all such platforms as this in the future.
This move by the Weis Company was a tricky one, for between the old site and the new one was the huge Edgemere Club hotel. Both buildings had to be moved up and around the north end of this monstrous Edgemere hotel, and then moved down towards the beach again. And too boot, the entire move was made on beach sand.
Photo number two shows that the old concession building of Howe’s Pleasure Beach had to be moved around the hotel, and as far east as Beach 29 street, before being pulled down to the beach again by cables and winches (cables can be seen at the bottom left). The bungalows at right center are at Beach 28 street. It is apparent that there was not a clear path to follow during this move. Other buildings were in the way–it seems.
Photo number three shows Howe’s concession building very near its new home, between Beach 33 and Beach 34 street. The building with the two water tanks on the roof is the Beach 33 street saltwater baths. Between this building and Howe’s building, a small portion of the old Lorraine hotel (Beach 32 street) can be seen. At right center are the bungalows shown in photo number two, and Sprayview avenue is at left center…it is not known how long the move lasted, and there must be someone out there in Waveland who can advise us of the mechanics of this kind of move on beach sand.