2000-10-07 / Sports

Greater NYC Ice Hockey League Weekend Of Loses For Stars

Greater NYC Ice Hockey League
Weekend Of Loses For Stars

The Stars traveled to Long Beach, New York to play their second exhibition game of the season against The Apple Core. The Stars record fell to 1-1 as the Apple Core beat them 4-2.

The Apple Core clearly were the better team as they outskated, outshot and outplayed the Stars.

Howie Boyce opened the scoring for the Apple Core at 4:07 of the first period beating Stars goalie Ricky Cibrano up high. Boyce was assisted by Taylor Holze and Sean Excobedo.

Just 20 seconds later it was a 2-0 game, as Richard Amrhein's shot beat Cibrano over his right shoulder, assisted by Chris Valdes.

Although the Apple Core took five penalties in the second period, the Stars were unable to mount an effective attack, barely outshooting them 6-5. The Apple Core scored at the 6:00 mark to lead 3-0. The goal was scored by Nicky Fortunato, as he beat Stars goalie Anthony Zilahy, assisted by Valdes.

The Stars made it a 3-1 game at 5:18 of the final period, as some great passes from Zilahy and center Matt Grogan sprung winger Kenny Fiorentino in on goalie Jack Rosenhammer. Fiorentino's low shot beat the goalie on the long side.

Just over three minutes later, Valdes put the Apple Core up 4-1 as he beat Zilahy unassisted.

With 1:52 to go in the game, Stars winger Timmy Faruol, took a beautiful pass from defenseman Patty Mead, broke down his right wing and drilled the puck past a startled Rosenhammer.

The Stars' coaching staff was very pleased with the play of winger Jesse Wynn who was one of the Stars to effectively forecheck.

The Stars returned home to the Abe Stark arena in Coney Island, on Sunday, October1, to host the Staten Island Sharks "B" team in their third preseason game.

The Stars dropped their second game in a row by a score of 6-4.

The Stars took a 1-0 lead at 4:19 of period one as center Jimmy Ketterer found the net after taking a fine breakout pass from his right wing Jesse Wynn.

Less then two minutes later it was a tie game as the Sharks scored on a powerplay goal beating Stars goalie Anthony Zilahy.

The Stars made it 2-1 at 4:56 of the middle stanza as right wing Patrick Brown put in a rebound of center Matt Grogan's shot. Sixteen seconds later it was 2-2 as the Sharks beat Stars' goalie Ricky Cibrano.

The Sharks took the lead 3-2 with 1:15 to go as center Bazzao beat Cibrano for his second goal.

The Stars made it 3-3 at 8:54 of the third period. Grogan netting a
powerplay goal assisted by Brown.

Then the Sharks scored two goals in 24 seconds to take a 5-3 lead.

Stars left wing Timmy Faruol blasted home an unassisted goal at the 6:10 mark making it 5-4.

The Stars had a great chance to tie the game as the Sharks took a penalty with 1:06 to play, but the Sharks bottled up the Stars in their own end of the ice and iced the game with a shorthanded goal with :09 to play.

The Stars coaches had high praise for goalie Zilahy who stopped 15 of 16 Shark shots.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio