2000-06-10 / Front Page


By Joan Ward George

Frederick Ott, 19, of Broad Channel has been arrested and charged with allegedly falsely accusing a police officer assigned to the 100 Precinct of buying drugs from him on 20 or 30 occasions.

"Allegations of wrong doing against police officers go to the heart of the criminal justice system," said Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown in a press release issued late Thursday, June 1, 2000. "We must be satisfied that those who represent the law obey the law. When an accusation is made only to exact revenge against an officer, we will vigorously prosecute the person who makes such charges."

Police Commissioner Howard Safir said, "We take each and every allegation against our police officers very seriously. And we also take false accusations very seriously as well. In this case, as in all cases, we thoroughly investigated the charges Mr. Ott brought against one of our police officers and found that he made those charges in retaliation for summonses he had received from the officer. Mr. Ott will now face criminal charges as a result of his actions."

According to the written charges, the defendant told police officers in January 2000 that a police officer from the 100 Precinct had been involved in buying drugs. It is alleged that the defendant claimed that Theresa Meyers, a business acquaintance of his from Belle Harbor, told him that it was alright to sell drugs to the police officer.

Ironically, the Mrs. Meyers who Ott alleges advised him that it was alright to sell the officer drugs, was arrested herself on two separate occasions during the week of April 20 on felony charges of possession of controlled substances, and sale of controlled substances from her Beach 127 street home. According to neighbors, Meyers home has been a haven for drug activity for the past several years with drug deals going on all hours of the day and night. At that time 100 Precinct Commanding Officer Gary Scirica confirmed allegations about numerous complaints being registered about that address.

On April 20 members of the NYPD narcotics squad executed a warrant on Meyers. She, along with three others that were in her home at the time of the raid, were charged with felony drug charges. The Queens district attorney’s office has confirmed to The Wave that all of the defendants have been charged with criminal possession of a crack cocaine and marijuana with intent to sell it. They each face up to 25 years in prison if convicted.

Meyers, 50, an intermediate school employee in Brooklyn, is the owner of what her neighbors call a "drug horror house". She was only out on the street just a short time after her arraignment and a $30,000 bail judgment. Police speculate that she was back in business within days. She was re-arrested Tuesday night, April 25 at approximately 6:45 p.m., by plainclothes drug enforcement police officers, for allegedly selling drugs to an undercover officer on a prior date.

Additionally, according to a police spokesperson, under New York City’s drug laws, Meyers’ Lexus automobile was seized, since it is believed to have been used in the commission of drug purchases and/or sales. According to some neighbors who have been following this case very closely, it is also expected that the authorities will try to vacate the Belle Harbor home under the Nuisance Abatement Law if it is proven that a felony has taken place there. She and the others arrested at her home will face their charges at a pre-trial hearing set for July 18, 2000.

According to the Ott’s criminal court complaint dated late last week, "an investigation of Ott’s allegations was immediately undertaken by the Police Department's Internal Affairs Bureau which determined that there was no basis for the allegations. When confronted with the result of the investigation, the defendant is alleged to have told arresting officers he had made up the story because the officer had written him numerous summonses and embarrassed him in front of his girlfriend. Ott is alleged to have stated that he had ripped up the summonses and as a result, his license had been suspended."

Ott was arraigned early this week and a $1,500 bond was set. The Wave was unable to ascertain whether or not Ott was able to make bail this week. He is awaiting a pre-trial hearing date of June 18, 2000.

Assistant District Attorney Robert Ciesla of the District Attorney’s Integrity Bureau is in charge of the case.

It should be noted that an arrest is merely an accusation and that a defendant should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio