From The Artists Studio
…By Susan Hartenstein
You asked for it, you’ve got it. By popular demand—The Rockaway Artists Alliance Merely a Week Late Mother’s Day Test Your Art Knowledge Quiz. If you liked our first art knowledge quiz, you’ll love our second one. Send those No. 2 pencils and those brain cells through the sharpener and let’s go.
- What is the actual title of the painting commonly known as "Whistler’s Mother"?
- Who painted it? (Okay, okay, that’s a "gimme", but wait until you see the next question).
- Name another painting by this same artist that contains two colors in its title? (Tough, huh?)
- What 19 Century painter was the granddaughter of Fragonard and the sister-in-law of Manet (who was also a teacher of hers).
- Mary Cassatt frequently painted women and children in oil and pastel. Some of her finest work, however, was done in a third medium, much influenced by the Japanese masters. Name this demanding medium.
- What Pennsylvania city was Cassatt’s "home town"? (You should remember this from a question in the first Rockaway Artists Alliance Test Your Art Knowledge Quiz.)
- What colleague and friend of Cassatt’s was famous for his paintings of ballet dancers?
- "Pieta" is an Italian word for a representation of the Virgin grieving over the dead Christ. It is derived from the Latin "pietas", which is the root word for what two English words?
- This contemporary American artist/author, whose mother was a fashion designer, is famous for her story quilts such as "Tar Beach" (also the title of her children’s book, which she wrote and illustrated)-. Name this woman.
- Best known for her large close-up paintings of flowers, this 20 Century artist spent the latter part of her life in New Mexico painting desert scenes and sun-bleached animal bones. Who was she?
Answers to these questions and other life-altering issues will be found in next week’s column.
And now for a few brief RAA reminders:
This Sunday at Fort Tilden—Birds/Buildings/BBQ.
- 10 a.m. meet at T-6 for a birdwalk/bird-draw through Tilden.
- 1 to 5 p.m. lend your brains and/or muscle to a cleanup of T-6 and T-7.
- Culminate the day with a BBQ—you bring the food, we’ll bring the coals and matches.
Contact Martha Killian or me ASAP if you wish to participate in the RAA outdoor fair at Starbucks on May 27 and 28.
Submission dates for the June RAA member exhibition are Friday, June 2 from 7:30 to 8 p.m. and Saturday, June 3 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in T-6. Questions about either of these events? Call us.
More photographs from KidsmART grace our column this week. Enjoy.