2000-05-06 / Sports

Comeback Victory For The Fisheads

Johnny Oak Named ‘Man Of The Match’

A determined and resourceful Rockaway Rugby side came back from a 14-point halftime deficit to defeat Doylestown, PA, 28-21 at Riis Park last Saturday. In one of the most exciting matches in recent history, the Fisheads used their entire roster to post three straight second half scores against a Doylestown team that they had not defeated in recent memory.

After falling behind 14-0, Rockaway wing Keith Serper took a pass from
John McCann to get the Fisheads on the board just before the half. After
conceding another try to bring the score to 21-7, the Fisheads made wholesale changes during intermission. Taking full advantage of the new six substitution law, fresh and ready Fisheads Tim Kelly, Mike the Russian, James Turchiano, and Tyrone Sperling entered the match and immediately began taking it to the opposition. Within minutes, Kiwi second rower Brad Conza was in the endzone for Rockaway narrowing the gap to seven points. Adapting quickly to his new role as a tight forward, Conza had a spectacular game for Rockaway in both set scrums and
open play.

It didn't take the Fisheads long to figure out that the Doylestown game
plan revolved around getting the ball to their enormous center. Unusually
large for a backfielder, the big Pennsylvanian twice burned the Fisheads for long gains. It was at this point that Rockaway’s Johnny O'Connor turned the tides of the match with huge tackles that stopped this opponent in his tracks. Oakies inspired play raised the level of the entire team and swung the momentum of the game to the Rockaway side.

After successfully crashing the ball into the defense, a fired up Fishead
team found themselves inches from knotting the score. With Doylestown
overloading the backfield in defense, captain Jim Egan continued to use his forwards to carry the ball. A weakside pass to new Fishead and college rugby hero James Turchiano tied the score at 21. With less than 10 minutes to play, a fierce midfield battle ensued. With their last two substitutions, Rockaway brought in hard- hitting Tommy Leonard and Mike Conicelli to breathe new life into the team. Leonard immediately made his presence known by smashing into a ballcarrier and gaining possession for Rockaway.

On the following ruck, flyhalf Kevin Wrafter found Johnny Oak on the left sideline. Oakie faked to the outside and outran the entire defense for a 50 meter game winning try. The last minutes of the match were spent defending against a desperate Doylestown team that had not lost to
Rockaway in at least a decade. Afterweards, their was much rejoicing.

Rugger Pluggers:

Kevin Coursey has decided not to resume his rugby career, and has
instead been taking computer lessons and playing golf. He was recently
spotted strolling through the neighborhood asking if anyone knew the
whereabouts of the Great Kazoo.

Duke Foti's brief comeback has again been put on the shelf. After making a few practices, Foti has decided that his time would be better spent researching on the Internet and playing golf with Kevin Coursey and the Great Kazoo.

Karen O'Connor/Barrett has handed in husband Kevin’s Jersey and informed the Fishead hierarchy that he would not be playing anymore.

Rockaway Rugby would like to thank Ed "Big Daddy" Shevlin for his halftime motorcycle exhibition which included popping wheelies and handstands. Rumor has it that proud younger brother Cliff has been shopping around for a Harley. After the match, Big Daddy was kind enough to pull Torty Johnson on
his skateboard all the way back to the clubhouse.

This week the Fisheads travel to Randalls Island to take on Division 1
New York Rugby. Cars and vans will be leaving the clubhouse at 10 a.m.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio