Police Are Y2K Ready
By Joan Ward George
The Commanding Officers of the 100 and 101 Precincts, Captain Gary Scirica of the 100 Precinct and Deputy Inspector Mike Morley of the 101 Precinct want to remind all Rockawayites that every step has been taken to assure the community’s personal security and safety this New Year’s weekend.
According to Scirica and Morley coordination details have been completed with our local fire station and Emergency Medical Service units.
Unless it’s a real emergency Rockawayites are strongly encouraged to call their local precincts. The 100 Precinct can be reached by calling 318-4200, the 101 Precinct number is 868-3400.
The police department has taken some extra steps to prepare for whatever Y2K has in store for us. Extra personnel that will be assigned to the phone lines on New Year’s Eve and we encourage people to call the precinct directly for nuisance calls so that the 911 system doesn’t get tied up for real emergencies.
If the power and communications systems do go down for any reason, the temporary headquarters will be set up on the peninsula in the area of the greatest loss of power, and police, fire and ambulance personnel will be set up at that location.
For nuisance calls and anything other than real emergency situations, Rockawayites are encouraged to call directly the 100 Precinct at 318-4200 and the 101 Precinct at 868-3400.
In the event that the 911 system goes down the following home-based locations will be set up throughout Rockaway with fire, police and emergency medical services personnel on hand to handle all local emergencies:
- Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 116 street
- Beach 129 Street and Cronston Avenue
- The Dayton Shopping Center on Beach 88 Street
- The Breezy Point Security office
- Beach Channel Drive and Beach 67 Street
- Cross Bay Boulevard and West 17 Street
- Beach 54 Street and Beach Channel Drive
- Beach 20 Street and Seagirt Boulevard
- Mott Avenue and Beach Channel Drive
- Redfern Avenue and Beach Channel Drive
- Beach 40 Street and Beach Channel Drive
- Beach 25 Street and Rockaway Freeway