Two young boys were killed as a fire ripped through their Far Rockaway home on Tuesday morning. Brandon David, 10, and Bradford Stokes, 8, were overcome by smoke from a fire that apparently started in a clothes dryer.
Firefighters tried desperately to revive them but Brandon died at the scene and Bradford was pronounced dead later at the hospital.
The fire began at approximately 5 a.m. at the 2900 Healy avenue residence, a two and a half story, one-family home.
Engine 264, Engine 328 and Ladder 134 of Central avenue were the first to respond followed closely by Engine 265 and 121 of Beach 59 street.
Neighbors who either saw smoke or heard the commotion assisted in rescue attempts until the FDNY arrived.
One firefighter at the scene said the units performed remarkably well as the fire and smoke were intense and heavy. According to reports, many doors and windows were left open because of the oppressive pre-summer heat of the day----allowing the fire to spread quickly.
Others in the house and eight firefighters were taken to area hospitals for minor treatment.
The two boys were students at PS 104.