Responds To Schwach
What a surprise that the snide, totally untrue remark in Schwach's other column was not edited out and I, could not reply before the school board election held on Tuesday. Please allow me the space to respond to Mr. Schwach in this week’s Bag of Mail.
1. I did not need to learn about politics. In the late 70s, I represented the 11th Congressional District at the Democratic Constitutional Convention in Kansas. I am entitled to be called "Honorable" if I wish. You, Howie, can learn from me about politics, honesty and courtesy.
2. I have never espoused down-zoning to 116 street. I am in favor
of it from 117 to 122 streets and also believe it will spark the revitalization of the area. This is a consistent stand. You lied. Why not mention my concern about PS 225?
As for your May 8 School Scope:
1. You and Mr. Adams, an ex-NYPD detective, surely know sexual harassment can be verbal or by vulgar gesture. Touching is not necessary. Yet, he is "innocent" and you play dumb? For shame.
2. You say Mr. Adams was simply intimidating someone disagreeing with him at a Community School Board meeting. Intimidation is okay in your book. Well, not in mine or in other decent people's. Hoods, bullies, KKK and neo-Nazis intimidate. The next step is violence. You're an "educator"? Are you in the classroom? Are weaker children safe with you?
3. Yes, politicians blow kisses and wave. They do not, at public meetings, conduct themselves to provide grounds for full inquiry and a guilty decision by agencies like the Board of Education.
4. Neither the Church or Temple affiliation of the victim nor their economic status is relevant. Sexual harassment exists no matter what the race, religion or economic status of the victim. You should apologize to West End Temple and, indeed, to all your readers.
Also, three cheers for moms at PS 114 whom you say have nothing to do but watch over their children's education. Most of them work outside of the home, by the way. You, Howie, denigrate them, but you say parent-teacher involvement is so important. Which is it? One might think you are paranoid and perhaps delusional. Clearly, you dislike women who are better educated than you.
Rumors are rampant in the West End that the PS 114 fires might have been set by a writer to frame the parents he doesn't like. How does that hit you? Rumor also has it that the "journalist" writes a lot of his columns on taxpayer time, etc., etc.
We can all be snide and rude. Howie, get off it. Act like an "educator."
ROWENA (RONNI) SCHWAB